Advanced Topics in IT Project Management (INFO6010)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit will explore the limitations of IT project management and the most promising techniques to overcome project failure. It will start by reviewing case study research showing we have reached the limits of traditional IT project management practice. The theoretical base will be completed by exploring the finding that senior management have more impact on success than traditional approaches.
Participants will be introduced to and learn to apply the most promising tools and techniques needed to govern IT projects. The topics reviewed will include: 1) Strategy; 2) Organisational change; 3) Project sponsorship; 4) Programme management; 5) Performance measurement; 6) Culture; 7) Portfolio management; 8) Relevant Australian and International Standards on IT/Project Governance and new industry methodologies around portfolio, programme and change management will be reviewed.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Computing
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology Management
- Master of Engineering (Software)
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology and Master of Information Technology Management
Further unit of study information
Lectures, Tutorials (applied workshop), E-Learning
Through semester assessment (50%) and Final Exam (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
INFO6007, OR 3-5 years working experience in IT Project Management
Students are assumed to understand the role of IT projects.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.