Information Technology Strategy and Value (INFO6012)
UNIT OF STUDY
The increasingly strategic role of IT in organisations is widely recognised. This unit of study is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to strategic aspects of IT as they impact on business value. Such a perspective is critical for IT professionals in both IT producer and user organisations from the level of Chief Information Officer to managers as well as technical specialists. Deep understanding of IT strategy formulation and implementation and ensuring its alignment with the organisation's strategic directions is important for successfully managing the major changes that the IT function has undergone in recent years.
Topics covered will include technology forecasting and assessment of IT impacts, achieving sustainable competitive through IT, relationship between IT strategy and value, IT strategy formulation and implementation, evaluation of strategic investments in IT, IT portfolio management, IT souring and open innovation, and dynamics of IT strategy and game theory. It will explore IT-related strategic decision making at the different organisational levels and the concept of strategic congruence. This unit will provide students with models, tools, and techniques to evaluate an organisation's IT strategic position, and hence to help make appropriate strategic choices.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Science
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Management
- Graduate Diploma in Computing
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology Management
- Master of Information Technology and Master of Information Technology Management
Further unit of study information
Flexible Session 3 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (50%) Final Exam (50%)
Johnson, Whittington, and Scholes/Fundamentals of Strategy/2nd/2012/978-0273757252 //
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
COMP5206. Introduction to Information Systems
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.