Jazz Ensemble 1 (JAZZ1611)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study provides jazz students with the opportunities for performance of large ensemble arrangements in a Big Band, small jazz ensemble works and arrangements including original works by the students themselves in a nominated small jazz ensemble, and participation in Jazz Piano class.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Dual Degree, Sciences Po, France)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Economics (Dual Degree, Sciences Po, France)
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education (Health and Physical Education)
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Music (Composition)
- Bachelor of Music (Music Education)
- Bachelor of Music (Performance)
- Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Diploma of Arts
- Diploma of Language Studies
- Diploma of Music
- Diploma of Social Sciences
Further unit of study information
1 hr Jazz Piano class (Non Piano students only); 2 hr Small Ensemble class; 2 hr Elective Jazz Orchestra class OR 3 hr Big Band class/week
A final grade will be compiled from continual assessment of professional demeanour, improvisational and ensemble skills demonstrated during rehearsals and performances, and nominated assessment tasks (100%) NB: the student must pass all three elements of this Unit in order to proceed to subsequent units of study.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Jazz students must attend the Large Ensemble auditions for placement in one of the large ensembles; Non-jazz students can apply to the Chair of Jazz Unit to audition for entry to either the Large or Small Jazz Ensemble 1-8 electives.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.