Jazz Music Skills 3 (JAZZ2623)
UNIT OF STUDY
Harmony and Arranging Module: Concentrates on more complex harmonic material that forms the basis for Jazz Improvisation 3 as well as learning arranging techniques for five horns and more complex ensemble music. Methods of reharmonisation of existing jazz and standard compositions will be introduced. Students will learn big band orchestration which will include ensemble scoring, sax soli, background writing, form and the related uses of counterpoint. There will be detailed analysis of scores of major composers and arrangers.
Aural Module: Consolidates and expands upon concepts and skills introduced in Jazz Music Skills 1 and 2, plus introducing advanced chord types, and increasingly complex harmonic structures. N.B Both the Harmony and Aural Modules must be passed in order for the student to proceed to Jazz Music Skills 4.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Dual Degree, Sciences Po, France)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Economics (Dual Degree, Sciences Po, France)
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Education (Health and Physical Education)
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Music (Composition)
- Bachelor of Music (Music Education)
- Bachelor of Music (Performance)
- Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Diploma of Music
Further unit of study information
2 x 2 hr tuts/week
Harmony and Arranging Module: Written harmony/arranging test (30%), approved number of assignments and arrangements (70%) Aural Module: Two tests (2x20%), one 2 hour exam (60%)
Lindsay, Gary (2005) "Jazz Arranging Techniques from Quartet to Big Band"
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
JAZZ2603 or JAZZ2633
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.