Jazz Performance 5 (Extended) (JAZZ3205)
UNIT OF STUDY
In this unit of study students will further develop increasingly advanced skills and understanding in jazz improvisation, and a further increased level of instrumental skill to facilitate its performance. Students will become acquainted with more complex suitable and essential jazz repertoire, the study of which will be informed by acquiring a detailed knowledge of chord/scale relationships, and of how the harmonic structures that are commonplace in jazz repertoire function. At the conclusion of this unit of study students will be able to demonstrate an ability to solo over a diverse set of repertoire tunes, including the ability to perform guide tone lines where appropriate, and demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the prescribed third year repertoire list as covered in improvisation classes and principal study lessons, as well as retaining by memory the core songs from the first and second year lists, demonstrate an increased level of understanding fundamental and more advanced performance issues and demonstrate an ability to transcribe and perform a more advanced solo from memory.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Languages)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Arts and Master of Nursing
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Economics and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences) and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Music (Music Education)
- Bachelor of Music (Performance)
- Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Music Studies and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Music Studies and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science and Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Bachelor of Social Work
Further unit of study information
13 one to one lessons/semester,
Jazz Performance Workshop or unit specific classes, 2 hour Improvisation class and sectional tutorial/week.
Individual tuition/technical requirements (50%), Improvisation class component (50%). Students must pass both assessed components.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.