Social Justice Legal Clinic B (LAWS5131)
UNIT OF STUDY
In this unit of study students are afforded the opportunity to work the equivalent of one day per week during the semester in a 'public interest' placement site. In addition, students attend fortnightly seminars which are designed to promote discussion and reflection on a range of issues that may arise during the course of the placement as well as seminar presentations on matters relevant to public interest externships. The unit has a public interest focus which is reflected in the selection of placement sites.
At the end of the unit students should have:
* acquired a better sense of the professional and personal responsibilities associated with the practice of law;
* developed an appreciation that the law is a people profession;
* observed and participated in a high level of problem solving flowing from real case files (where appropriate);
* been introduced to the basic inter-personal skills involved in the practice of law;
* interacted with legal professionals in a flexible learning environment;
* been introduced to aspects of the practice of law such as legal writing, advocacy and time management; and
* developed the character and habits of a reflective practitioner.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
Further unit of study information
8/9 x 2hr seminars/semester
class presentation and performance (30%) and site performance (30%) and 3000wd essay (40%). Also requires satisfactory attendance at placement and maintenance of a reflective journal (pass/fail)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
LAWS3025 or LAWS3431
Enrolment in this unit is by special application. Enrolment is restricted to students in their final year of study.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.