International Environmental Law (LAWS6061)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit aims to provide an introduction to the framework, concepts, sources and techniques of international environmental law, and to provide an overview of international law responses to current and emerging environmental challenges. The history and framework of international environmental law will be examined before exploring a range of topical international environmental law issues, including atmospheric protection and climate change, hazardous substances and wastes, biodiversity and GMOs, the protection of marine living resources, the protection of freshwater resources and issues concerning trade. The unit will also survey the influence of international environmental law on domestic environmental law through case studies. Overarching themes will include the interdependence of environmental issues, the effects of scientific uncertainty on international environmental regulation, implementation of international environmental obligations between states at difference levels of economic development and the need for effectiveness in implementation and enforcement.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Law
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Environmental Law
- Master of Environmental Science and Law
- Master of International Law
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Security
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Law and International Development
- Master of Laws
- Master of Public Policy
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
Apr 28, 29 & May 1, 2 (9-5)
class participation (20%) and 8000wd essay (80%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Students seeking further study in international environmental law may undertake LAWS6922 Advanced International Environmental Law.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.