Legal Reasoning & the Common Law System (LAWS6252)
UNIT OF STUDY
This is a compulsory unit for all postgraduate students who do not hold a law degree or equivalent from a common law jurisdiction entering the: Master of Administrative Law and Policy; Master of Business Law; Master of Environmental Law; Master of Environmental Science and Law; Master of Global Law; Master of Health Law; Master of International Business and Law; Master of Labour Law and Relations; Master of Law & International Development as well as Graduate Diplomas offered in these programs. The unit has been designed to equip students with the necessary legal skills and legal knowledge to competently apply themselves in their chosen area of law. Instruction will cover the legislative process; the judiciary and specialist tribunals; precedent; court hierarchies; legal reasoning; constitutional law; administrative law; contracts; and torts. Some elements of the unit will be tailored in accordance with the requirements of the particular specialist programs.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Environmental Law
- Graduate Diploma in Health Law
- Graduate Diploma in International Law
- Graduate Diploma in Law
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health Law
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Administrative Law and Policy
- Master of Business Law
- Master of Environmental Law
- Master of Environmental Science and Law
- Master of Global Law
- Master of Health Law
- Master of International Public Health
- Master of Labour Law and Relations
- Master of Law and International Development
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
Group A: Mar 3 to 6 (9-5) Group B: Mar 20, 21 & Apr 10, 11 (9-5) Group C: Jul 28 to 31 (9-5) Group D: Sep 4, 5 & 18, 19 (9-5)
in-class test (25%) and take-home exam (75%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.