Harmony and Analysis 1 (MCGY1008)
UNIT OF STUDY
An understanding of the materials of tonal music is fundamental to all aspects of a student's musicianship. The acquisition of practical skills in harmony provides a means of examining in their essence issues of musical structure and technique that apply throughout the tonal repertoire. In the first semester students gain fluency in writing four-part harmonisations using diatonic vocabulary, learning the basic chord functions and voice-leading patterns that will provide a framework for later elaboration. Exercises in species counterpoint are included to assist in the comprehension of voice leading principles, and the linear conception of music is further explored through introductory exercises in analysis.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Dual Degree, Sciences Po, France)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Economics (Dual Degree, Sciences Po, France)
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education (Health and Physical Education)
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Information Technology and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Music (Composition)
- Bachelor of Music (Music Education)
- Bachelor of Music (Performance)
- Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Diploma of Arts
- Diploma of Language Studies
- Diploma of Music
- Diploma of Social Sciences
Further unit of study information
1 lecture,1 tutorial/wk
Assignments (40%), examination (60%)
Gauldin Robert, Harmonic practice in tonal music. 2nd ed. NY: Norton, 2004.
Gauldin Robert, Workbook for harmonic practice in tonal music. 2nd ed. NY: Norton, 2004
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Ability to read musical notation including treble and bass clefs, and knowledge of scales, intervals and triads in tonal music.
Completion of a Music Skills Test is essential prior to commencement. Conservatorium of Music students who did not do the test during the audition period and non-Conservatorium of Music Students should contact the unit of study coordinator before the start of semester.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.