Manufacturing Engineering (MECH3660)
UNIT OF STUDY
The unit aims to teach the fundamentals of manufacturing processes and systems in mechanical, mechatronic and biomedical engineering, including traditional and advanced manufacturing technologies. This unit aims to develop the following attributes: to understand the fundamental principles of manufacturing technologies for the above mentioned engineering areas; to gain the ability to select existing manufacturing processes and systems for direct engineering applications; to develop ability to create innovative new manufacturing technologies for advanced industrial applications; to develop ability to invent new manufacturing systems. At the end of this unit students will have a good understanding of the following: merits and advantages of individual manufacturing processes and systems; principles of developing new technologies; comprehensive applications and strategic selection of manufacturing processes and systems. Course content will include: Manufacturing Processes: Common processes and their science (machining, casting, powder metallurgy, metal working, welding); merits and limitations; CNC and CAM; Manufacturing Systems: Economics in manufacturing; flexible manufacturing; group technology; materials selection and requirements planning; quality control; introduction to new technology; introduction to e-manufacturing; human factors; plant layout.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Medical Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Music Studies
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Laboratory, Lecture 2 hrs/week; Tutorial 2 hrs/week.
Through semester assessment (100%)
Paul Briozzo/MECH3660 9660 Manufacturing Engineering/2015//
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
MECH2400 or ENGG1960
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.