Advanced Design and Analysis (MECH5416)
UNIT OF STUDY
This UoS utilises assumed theoretical knowledge and skills to elucidate the stresses and strains that exit in the different categories of machine parts. It sets out to make the students familiar with the simplifications that are applied to arrive at the analytic expressions commonly used to analyse each individual categories parts. These simplifications usually begin by assuming that only particular types of loads are carried by teh parts in that category. The resulting analyses provide approximations to the actual stresses. It is possible to have different degrees of simplifications, requiring more or less work, giving better or poorer approximations. Should a part be used to carry loads that were not allowed for in the traditional method then some more appropriate method must be found or developed. An important aspect is to make the student practiced in a range of modern concepts, techniques and tools, and to be made aware of their strengths and limitations.
This unit of study teaches the student how to recognise where and how their theoretical skills can be applied to the practical situations that they may encounter in this field of design.
Options may be provided in the choice of design assignments. Biomedical engineering and vehicle design problems may be provided as options to more general machine design problems.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering
- Graduate Diploma in Engineering
- Master of Engineering (Automation and Manufacturing Systems)
- Master of Engineering (Biomedical Engineering)
- Master of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Biomedical)
- Master of Professional Engineering (Mechanical)
Further unit of study information
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
(AMME2301 OR AMME9301) AND (AMME2500 OR AMME9500) AND (MECH2400 OR MECH9400)
ENGG1802 - Eng Mechanics, balance of forces and moments; AMME2301 - Mechanics of Solids, 2 and 3 dimensional stress and strain; AMME2500 - Engineering Dynamics - dynamic forces and moments; MECH2400 - Mechanical Design 1, approach to design problems and report writing, and preparation of engineering drawing; MECH3460 - Mechanical design 2, means of applying fatigue analysis to a wide range of machine components
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.