Video Production (MECO3601)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit builds on knowledge and skills acquired in your media studies, writing and radio units. It extends both production skills (technical and management) and visual storytelling techniques. It introduces students to the history, theory and practice of video production (mainly field-based video), with a strong focus on broadcast journalism. The unit will equip students with practical skills in planning and researching a video production, as well as with skills in digital camera operation, video recording and digital video editing using desktop software. It has a strong production component and students will be expected to produce short video items in groups, and organise their time accordingly. The unit emphasises 'non-fiction', information, or 'factual' programming: news, current affairs, and documentary, and assumes some knowledge in news reporting techniques. This is an intensive unit combining production and theoretical elements.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Diploma of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x2hr lecture/week, 1x 2hr workshop/week
1x1300wd equivalent 80-sec news piece (25%), 1x2000wd equivalent 6-min video (50%), 1x1200wd analysis in exam format (25%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
18 Junior credit points from Media and Communications units
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.