Advanced Media Writing (MECO3606)
UNIT OF STUDY
MECO3606 aims to further develop students' writing, research and interviewing skills. The course is framed around the exploration of different feature genres of journalism that have developed in the print media (magazines and newspapers) and are now evolving online. We will explore various types of feature journalism via close reading and student writing. The unit aims not just to teach students how to write in various journalistic genres, but to think about journalism critically and creatively in order to respond to the challenges the profession is facing in the 21st century..
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
1x1hr lecture/week, 1x2hr tutorial/week
1x500wd opinion column (15%), 1x journalism analysis (10mins equiv.1000wd) (20%), 1x oral pitch (5mins equiv.500wd) (10%), 1x peer review of draft feature (equiv. 250wd) (10%), 1x2000wd long feature (40%), 1x250wd publicaiton analysis (5%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
6 Senior credit points from Media and Communications
Available to BA (Media and Comm), BA (Media and Comm/BLaws) students only
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.