Media and Communications Internship (MECO3671)
UNIT OF STUDY
The internship consists of a work placement comprising a minimum of 140 working hours in a media organisation, assisted and supervised by both the workplace and the department. Placements include print, broadcast, and online, in journalism, public relations and advertising organisations. Students are required to submit a 2,000-word journal reflecting on and analysing their experiences during the internship. (Special conditions may apply to overseas fellowships conducted as part of this unit). The internship and internship journal are assessed on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Dalyell Scholars)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
Attendance will be required at a an introductory lecture and may be required at a program of industry talks
Students must satisfy the requirements of an internship contract with their workplace, including attendance and performance, as evaluated through a workplace supervisor report, and submit a 2000wd internship journal, assessed by the department.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
30 Senior credit points from Media and Communications including MECO3603
MECO3701 or MECO3702
Available to BA (Media and Comm), BA (Media and Comm/BLaws) students only. Students may not enrol in MECO3671 prior to the second semester of their 3rd year.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.