Public Opinion, Policy and Public Sphere (MECO6913)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit analyses the relationship between professional communication and public opinion. It focuses on theories of influence and persuasion in the context of the development of policy, and how these are reflected in the public sphere. It develops the notion of the public sphere as represented by Habermas, Fraser, Schudson and others, focusing in particular on the transformation of the public sphere in terms of postmodern public relations.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Media Practice
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Strategic Public Relations
- Graduate Certificate in US Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Media Practice
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Strategic Public Relations
- Graduate Diploma in US Studies
- Master of Media Practice
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Strategic Public Relations
- Master of US Studies
Further unit of study information
1x1500wd Report (20%), 1x1500wd Stakeholder position paper (20%), 1x500wd Presentation (15%), 1x2500wd Essay (45%),
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.