Health Research Methods and Ethics (MEDF5005)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study introduces students to the fundamental skills that are required for postgraduate research in medicine and health. Students will learn how to conduct research that is scientifically and ethically sound, and be able to critically appraise and review literature. Students will understand the strengths and limitations of common study designs and develop simple but important statistical analysis skills, including how to present and interpret data, basic data management skills, and how to determine the required sample size for a study. Obtaining ethics approval is necessary for any study involving the collection or analysis of data involving humans, animals or their tissues. Hence, this unit will also cover ethics in research and when and how to apply for ethics approval. These fundamental skills promote a scholarly attitude towards knowledge and understanding, and are essential for engagement with the research community.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Health Policy
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Health Policy
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health) and Master of Philosophy
- Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health) and Master of Philosophy
Further unit of study information
2x compulsory in person interactive full day workshops, 4x optional in person 3hr tutorials, 5x online lectures and discussions, 2x online elective module readings
Study design and ethics assignment (40%), statistics
assignment (50%),online self-study elective task (10%).
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.