Assessment and Clinical Judgement (NURS5012)
UNIT OF STUDY
The ability to undertake a focused and comprehensive patient assessment is fundamental to nursing practice. Conducting patient assessment allows nurses to gather the requisite information to make sound clinical judgements. With an emphasis on the systematic collection of reliable and valid assessment data, this unit of study examines the knowledge, capabilities and clinical skills required to undertake comprehensive health assessment, inclusive of physical, mental health, social, ethnic and cultural dimensions in complex clinical situations. Underpinning any patient assessment is a detailed understanding of normal physiological processes and the ways in which illness and injury alters these processes.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Cancer and Haematology Nursing
- Graduate Certificate in Clinical Nursing
- Graduate Certificate in Emergency Nursing
- Graduate Certificate in Intensive Care Nursing
- Graduate Certificate in Mental Health Nursing
- Graduate Certificate in Primary Health Care Nursing
- Graduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice
- Graduate Diploma in Cancer and Haematology Nursing
- Graduate Diploma in Emergency Nursing
- Graduate Diploma in Intensive Care Nursing
- Graduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing
- Graduate Diploma in Primary Health Care Nursing
- Master of Advanced Nursing Practice
- Master of Cancer and Haematology Nursing
- Master of Emergency Nursing
- Master of Intensive Care Nursing
- Master of Mental Health Nursing
- Master of Nursing (Nurse Practitioner)
- Master of Primary Health Care Nursing
Further unit of study information
four intensive, on-campus study days
Student assessment (100%) conducted throughout the semester, as advised within the relevant unit of study outline
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.