Surgical Pathology (PATH5000)
UNIT OF STUDY
The Surgical Pathology Unit of Study course in an online course available in Semester 1 or 2. It is based on examination of macroscopic pathology specimens (bottles) located in the Pathology Museum collection and examination of microscopic slides of relevant pathological processes. The course runs over 13 weeks and covers 12 topics. Each week several streamed videos, corresponding Powerpoint presentations and additional reading, are provided to students. This material will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete. Following viewing of the teaching media, students complete an online quiz, which contributes to the final assessment. Additionally, students will prepare an in-dept, semi structured assignment on a pathological process, where possible of relevant to their particular interests. An optional weekend in-house practical session at the University of Sydney will be offered to students late in the semester (May or October), where students will be provided with practical tutorials covering many of the topics within the course. The practicals will involve viewing relevant bottles and slides. Participation is not compulsory. Topics that will be covered in the course will include basic pathological processes (eg immunology, inflammation, neoplasia etc) and systems pathology (eg cardiovascular, respiratory, gastroenterology, neurology, genitourinary, orthopaedic etc).
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Surgical Sciences
- Master of Surgery (Breast Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Colorectal)
- Master of Surgery (Endocrine Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Hand Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Head and Neck)
- Master of Surgery (Neurosurgery)
- Master of Surgery (Orthopaedic)
- Master of Surgery (Otorhinolaryngology)
- Master of Surgery (Paediatric Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Plastic/Reconstructive Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Anatomy)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Oncology)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Outcomes)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Sciences)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Skills)
- Master of Surgery (Transplant Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Trauma Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Urology)
- Master of Surgery (Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Surgery)
Further unit of study information
2x1hr video streamed tutorials/week
1. participation weekly tutorials (20%)
2. 1x3000wd essay (30%)
3. 13x15min weekly quizzes (20%)
4. 1x1hr final exam (30%)
Robbins & Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease 8th Ed (Kumar, Abbas, Fausto, Aster) Saunders Elsevier, online version available from University Library following enrolment, plus course materials.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.