Foundations of Physiotherapy Practice A (PHTY1023)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit sets the context of physiotherapy professional practice through an introduction to the issues and practices in healthcare delivery affecting physiotherapists, including relevant professional, state and federal policies and laws related to professional conduct. The unit also examines the observation and measurement of normal movement using methods that are suitable for clinical application, including biomechanical analyses. The importance of measurement is emphasised and the validity and reliability of different procedures are studied. Students are taught and practice a number of basic therapeutic techniques, including general musculoskeletal screening, observation of normal movement, manual handling, soft tissue massage and the use of heating and cooling. The importance of communication, documentation and respect for cultural differences in professional practice is addressed. Students are introduced to the concepts and principles of evidence-based practice.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy) Honours
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Dalyell Scholars)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
2x1-hr lecture/week, 1x1-hr tutorial/week
1x2-hr written exam (50%), 1000wd project report (30%) and practical skills assessment (20%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.