Cardiopulmonary Physiotherapy A (PHTY2057)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study will introduce students to the knowledge, skills and clinical decision making processes necessary for effective assessment and treatment of patients across the age spectrum with acute and chronic respiratory and cardiac dysfunction. In particular, students will evaluate the pathophysiological and functional consequences of surgery (abdominal, thoracic and cardiac), infective, inflammatory, restrictive and obstructive pulmonary disorders and coronary artery disease. Students will learn the practical skills and develop treatment strategies to effectively manage respiratory problems. Additionally, this unit will develop the students' knowledge of exercise and aims to apply the principles of exercise testing, prescription and training to patients who have cardiac and pulmonary limitations to exercise. The unit will provide students with an opportunity to apply, integrate and extend knowledge gained through the foundation sciences and earlier physiotherapy units of study.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
2-hr lecture/week, 2-hr tutorial/week
Mid semester practical/viva assessment (20%), end semester practical/viva assessment (20%), end semester written exam (60%)
Pryor JA and Prasad SA /Physiotherapy for Respiratory and Cardiac Problems /4th /2008/
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Prerequisites and assumed knowledge
BIOS1170 and EXSS2027 and PHTY2052 and PHTY2053
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.