Neurological and Cardiopulmonary Physio A (PHTY3071)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study builds on and expands the knowledge, skills and attributes developed in Cardiopulmonary Physiotherapy A and Neurological Physiotherapy A Three modules are included: cardiopulmonary physiotherapy in the acute care environment, physiotherapy for neurodegenerative conditions and acute neurological/neurosurgical care. The acute care module focuses on assessment and treatment of patients with acute pulmonary dysfunction. In addition, students examine specific clinical and professional issues relating to the intensive care and acute care environment. The emphasis is on appropriate assessment and safe and effective management of intubated and non-intubated patients. The neurodegenerative conditions module examines the pathology, impairments, activity limitations and participation restrictions arising from neurodegenerative conditions which require adaptation (such as Parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis and motor neuron disease). Students learn to assess and train or prescribe appropriate aids to enable activities such as rolling over, sitting, walking, transferring, wheelchair mobility and reaching and manipulating objects to be carried out. The acute neurological and cardiopulmonary care module focuses on physiotherapy management of acute neurological and neurosurgical conditions.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Physiotherapy)
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours and Bachelor of Project Management
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
Further unit of study information
2-hr lecture/week, 2-hr tutorial/week
Mid semester practical/viva assessment (20%), end semester practical/viva assessment (20%), end semester written exam (60%)
Carr JH and Shepherd RB /Neurological rehabilitation: optimizing motor performance /2nd ed/2010/978-0-7020-4051-1/ -- Pryor JA and Prasad SA /Physiotherapy for Respiratory and Cardiac Problems/4th ed/2008/9780080449852/
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
PHTY2056 and PHTY2057
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.