Environmental Footprints and IO Analysis (PHYS5033)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study will provide an introduction to economic input-output theory and input-output analysis, with a focus on environmental applications such as carbon footprints and life-cycle assessment. The unit first explores national and global economic and environmental accounting systems and their relationships to organisational accounting. Second, it will present global multi-regional input-output systems enabling the analysis of environmental impacts of international trade. Third, it will offer hands-on instruction to master the basic input-output calculus conceived by Nobel Prize Laureate Wassily Leontief, and provide a step-by-step recipe for how to undertake boundary-free environmental footprinting by integrating economic and environmental accounts, and by applying Leontief's calculus to data published by statistical offices. Students will walk away from this unit equipped with all skills needed to calculate footprints, and prepare sustainability reports for any organisation, city, region, or nation, using organisational data, economic input-output tables and environmental accounts. Students will also benefit from also enrolling in PHYS5034 for a sound understanding of the role of input-output analysis within the field of Life-Cycle Assessment.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Food and Agribusiness
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Science
- Graduate Certificate in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Agriculture and Environment
- Graduate Diploma in Architectural Science (Sustainable Design)
- Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science
- Graduate Diploma in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Agriculture and Environment
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (High Performance Buildings) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Illumination Design) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Audio and Acoustics)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (High Performance Buildings)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Environmental Science
- Master of Marine Science and Management
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
2-hour lecture interspersed with hands-on exercises per week
Comprehensive diary/notes from lectures, including a quantitative example (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.