Planning Principles, Systems & Practice (PLAN9061)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit aims to prepare you for professional practice as a strategic or development assessment planner. It focuses on social, economic and environmental principles for contemporary planning practice; the systems for land use planning and environmental management in Australia, and the practice of statutory planning and development assessment in NSW.
By the end of this unit of study you will: understand the social, economic, and environmental principles underpinning contemporary planning practice; appreciate key legal and institutional processes for environmental planning in Australia and internationally; be familiar with the various planning state, regional, and local planning instruments in NSW, and understand when and how they apply to planning proposals. You will also be able to assess the social, economic, and environmental impacts of basic planning proposals, and justify these recommendations in professional planning reports. In preparing for professional practice you will gain an understanding of the principles, techniques and requirements for public participation in environmental planning and assessment; and the ethical responsibilities of land use planners, including respect for diversity and the importance of social equity, in guiding decision making processes and assessing planning proposals.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Design
- Graduate Certificate in Urban and Regional Planning
- Graduate Diploma in Heritage Conservation
- Graduate Diploma in Urban Design
- Graduate Diploma in Urban and Regional Planning
- Master of Heritage Conservation
- Master of Urban Design
- Master of Urban Design (Architectural and Urban Design)
- Master of Urban Design (Urban Design and Planning)
- Master of Urban and Regional Planning
- Master of Urbanism (Heritage Conservation)
- Master of Urbanism (Urban Design)
- Master of Urbanism (Urban and Regional Planning)
Further unit of study information
4 day intensive (9am-5pm)
Assignment 1 (40%); assignment 2/presentation (10%); assignment 3 (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.