Leadership in Medicine (PMED5051)
UNIT OF STUDY
A successful leader is influential and their effectiveness is determined by the behaviours they consistently manifest. This practical leadership unit is focussed on behaviours and will explore best practice in medical leadership and guide the learner in how to improve their leadership skills. The course is tailored to health professionals and is based on a similar unit in the University of Sydney Business School¿s MBA.
Students will gain an understanding of the concepts that underpin the influencing process and will develop skills in the individual components of influencing. Topics covered will include: building self-awareness, the development process, self-management, managing difference, best practice communication (setting expectations, listening, motivating, giving and receiving feedback, confronting, conflict resolution), effective networking, building productive relationships and driving engagement.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Critical Care Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Critical Care Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Critical Care Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (Critical Care Medicine)
Further unit of study information
Week 1 conf call (90mins), 1x2 day (9am-8pm day1, 9am-5pm day2) F2F intensive weekend, 1x1 day (9am-5pm) F2F exam day, approx 8 hours/week (x 13 weeks) engaging in online interactions and self-directed learning activities
Team Project Presentation (25%), Individual Skills (10%), Written Feedback (15%), Other written submissions (5x5%, 25%), weekly Online Participation (15%), Face-to-Face Participation (10%)
Nil. Required readings will be provided
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.