Paediatric Nutrition and Obesity (PMED5102)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit examines the worldwide status and trends in child and adolescent obesity, incorporating a focus on paediatric nutrition. It explores the determinants, clinical assessment, medical complications, management and prevention of this important public health problem. There is a close integration of epidemiology, basic science and best available evidence in management and prevention into clinically based scenarios. Our aim is to provide you with a broad knowledge base and ability to apply scientific theory and clinical evidence to the diagnosis and management of obesity in childhood. This will include grounding in the complex social, cultural and environmental factors contributing to the continuance of childhood obesity throughout the world.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Medicine (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Medicine (Paediatric Medicine)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (Metabolic Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Metabolic Health)
Further unit of study information
Online. Students will spend approx 10 hours/week (x 13 weeks) engaging in case-based learning, incl. online discussion of case scenarios, self-directed case reviews and literature appraisal. Regular access to an internet connected computer is vital.
2x1000word essay (40%), MCQ exam (10%), and participation in online forum (50%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Students who commence after 01 January 2016 are required to complete the Blackboard Academic Honesty Education Module. It is recommended that this is completed as soon as possible after enrolment into your first unit of Study
This unit of study is only offered in odd numbered years
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.