Project Risk Management (PMGT5891)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit is delivered in multiple modes. Please ensure that the correct mode is selected before checking the detailed content. The modes are categorised in the following way:
Semester 1 = weekly delivery
Semester 1a = online delivery
Semester 1f = block delivery
The aims of this course are to develop students; understanding and ability in applying project risk management skills in project environments. The course enables the students to apply best practice techniques and methods commonly used by industry in project risk management.
The competencies developed through this unit cover and go beyond the competencies in Risk areas as outlined in the competency standards by the Australian Institute of Project Management and Project Management Institute in the USA, respectively. The UoS aims to develop students ability to understand and conceptualise risk management issues, and analyse and apply risk management techniques using concepts and frameworks from the underpinning literature.
- Ability to establish risk management plans, policies and integrate them with other project plans, organisation and align them to the business case
- Ability to understand the sources of potential risks (including but not limited to political, organisational, psychological and technical risks) and to use risk management tools and techniques to identify, assess, evaluate, and prioritise risks
- Ability to simulate the potential effects of risks on schedule, cost and other performance dimensions using sensitivity analysis, decision tree analysis and simulation techniques.
- Ability to track, monitor and control risks and actions to achieve project objectives and the business case
- Ability to close risks for an optimal outcome
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Aeronautical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Chemical and Biomolecular)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Civil)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Electrical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Mechatronic)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours (Software)
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Advanced Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering Honours with Space Engineering Major
- Bachelor of Project Management and Bachelor of Arts
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Project Leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Project Leadership
- Graduate Diploma in Project Management
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Master of Project Leadership
- Master of Project Management
- Master of Public Administration
Further unit of study information
E-Learning 3 hrs. May also be offered in block mode.
Through semester assessment (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.