Special Project in Public Health (PUBH5102)


This unit is intended for students nearing the end of their MPH. The Special Project is a self-directed unit focussed on a specific MPH-related topic of interest to the student. The project is supervised by an academic within the School. An external person can act as the main supervisor but a School academic would also be required. This project may be developed by the student or the student could develop a project in consultation with an intended supervisor. The student needs to meet with the supervisor during the semester. Preferably this would be at least three times but the frequency will depend on the project and the preference of the supervisor. The project is meant to be self-directed so there is not an expectation that the supervisor would have close involvement, although they can if they want to. Students should contact an academic staff member associated with the area of their project and negotiate the details of the project design and the method and frequency of contact with the supervisor during the project. The student would be expected to undertake approximately 50 to 50 hours of work for this unit. The format of the final report or other output can be whatever is appropriate, as agreed with the supervisor(s). The report is due no later than the Monday of Week 13, or a later date as agreed with the supervisor(s) and the unit coordinator.

Our courses that offer this unit of study

Further unit of study information


1x 2000 word written report (100%) or as agreed with the supervisor and unit coordinator.

Faculty/department permission required?


Unit of study rules


(PUBH5010 or CEPI5100) and PUBH5018

Additional Information

Students negotiate with a public health staff member to be their supervisor on an agreed project. The student informs the Unit co-ordinator and provides any additional information required. Once the unit coordinator has agreed to the enrolment, the students applies to enrol via Sydney Student. The unit coordinator will then formally approve the enrolment.

Study this unit outside a degree

Non-award/non-degree study

If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.

Cross-institutional study

If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.