New Debates in Social Theory (SCLG6903)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit explores a series of issues of controversy and debate in social theory. These include debates over: the information age; new information and communication technologies; the new capitalism and changing work practices; the cultural sphere; new forms of power and surveillance; shifting claims to insight in knowledge societies; the role of education in social inequality; the bases of making knowledge claims; and globalisation. The unit involves both face-to-face seminars and online discussions.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Certificate in International Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Cultural Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Human Rights
- Graduate Diploma in International Relations
- Graduate Diploma in International Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Peace and Conflict Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Policy Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Political Economy
- Graduate Diploma in Public Policy
- Master of Administrative Law and Policy
- Master of Cultural Studies
- Master of Human Rights
- Master of International Relations
- Master of International Security
- Master of International Studies
- Master of Peace and Conflict Studies
- Master of Policy Studies
- Master of Political Economy
- Master of Public Policy
Further unit of study information
1x2400wd Research essay (40%), 1x2400wd Research essay (40%), 1x1200wd equivalent online presentations and discussion (20%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.