Social Policy Frameworks (SCWK6948)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit aims to provide students with a sound understanding of the key institutional components of the Australian welfare system and the key issues and debates associated with the theory and practice of contemporary social policy. The target audience for this unit includes participants from a diverse range of organisations involved in human service provision. All human service work takes place in the context of social policy: social policy provides the mandate and the resources for human service work, and the activities of workers are extensively defined and shaped by social policy. In turn, human service workers are increasingly involved in the shaping of policy, or policy action. The rationale for this unit is to provide an opportunity for students to develop an advanced understanding of social policy frameworks in order to inform policy action.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Human and Community Services
- Graduate Certificate in Policy Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Educational Studies (Special and Inclusive Education)
- Graduate Diploma in Policy Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Social Work
- Master of Administrative Law and Policy
- Master of Education (Educational Management and Leadership)
- Master of Education (Educational Psychology)
- Master of Policy Studies
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Social Work (Qualifying)
Further unit of study information
2hr seminar/week - evening
1x2000wd essay proposal and presentation (40%); 1x4000wd major essay (60%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.