Advanced Adolescent Sexual Health (SEXH5205)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit aims to introduce the constructs of adolescent sexuality, explore the determinants of adolescent sexual health and to discuss the personal and public health implications of adolescent sexuality, with additional emphasis on a deeper exploration of an area of adolescent sexual health that is of particular interest to the student. The mainareas of learning are: adolescent sexuality, adolescent sexual health, reproductive health issues in adolescence, diversity, legal and ethical issues and sexual health promotion. On completion of this unit of study, students should be able to: (i) Describe the biological, developmental and socio-cultural contexts of adolescent sexual health as well as the constructs, challenges and diversities of adolescent sexuality. They will learn techniques used to optimise communication with adolescents and explore legal, ethical and public health implications of adolescent sexuality; and (ii) Understand and describe one area of adolescent sexual health that the student chooses to study in depth from a list of suggestions.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Diploma in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Graduate Diploma in Public Health
- Graduate Diploma in Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Indigenous Health (Substance Use)
- Master of International Public Health
- Master of Medicine (Advanced) (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health) and Master of Philosophy
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Public Health (Professional Practice)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Advanced) (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health)
- Master of Science in Medicine (HIV, STIs and Sexual Health) and Master of Philosophy
Further unit of study information
Discussion board participation (20%); In-depth case discussion (20%); Online quiz (20%); 1500 word essay (40%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.