SMTP Elective I (SMTP3007)
UNIT OF STUDY
All Combined Medical Degree Students are required to complete a 5 day Observational Elective Placement during their undergraduate degree. Students can elect their own area of study for this unit. They are required to visit a research institute, a charitable organization, a community health centre or hospital (local or rural) to observe how health and well being are supported in their chosen location, to understand the personal challenges this role has, as well as an appreciation of the position of these roles/locations in the local and national health networks.
Each year there are a limited number of Rural location placements available to Combined Medical Degree students to satisfy the Observational Elective Placement requirement of the program. All students are required to complete the following checks before their placement: Working with Children check (valid for 3 years from date of issue) Criminal record check (valid for 3 years from date of issue) Have all current NSW Health required vaccinations.
Each student is to submit a 'Pre-placement Report' (~500 words) before their placement. After completion of the placement, each student is required to submit a personal reflection of his or her experience using the 'Pre-placement Report' as a starting point. The 'Post-placement Reflective report' should be approximately ~1000 to 1,500 words.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Arts (Languages)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications)
- Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Commerce and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Economics
- Bachelor of Economics and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Economics and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary: Humanities and Social Sciences) and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies
- Bachelor of International and Global Studies and Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science
- Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Music Studies and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Music Studies and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Political, Economic and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and Doctor of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Social Work
Further unit of study information
Report describing the elective topic or activities
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.