Vascular and Endovascular Surgery (SURG5016)
UNIT OF STUDY
The objective of this unit of study is for participants to develop a greater understanding of the anatomy, pathophysiology and treatment options for vascular surgical disorders by open or endovascular means. This unit of study will introduce students to key areas of vascular anatomy, pathology and imaging at an advanced level. By the end of the course, participants will have developed a critical knowledge of the academic basis for contemporary vascular surgery.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Master of Surgery (Breast Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Cardiothoracic Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Colorectal)
- Master of Surgery (Endocrine Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Hand Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Head and Neck)
- Master of Surgery (Neurosurgery)
- Master of Surgery (Orthopaedic)
- Master of Surgery (Otorhinolaryngology)
- Master of Surgery (Paediatric Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Plastic/Reconstructive Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Anatomy)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Oncology)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Outcomes)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Sciences)
- Master of Surgery (Surgical Skills)
- Master of Surgery (Transplant Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Trauma Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Upper Gastrointestinal Surgery)
- Master of Surgery (Urology)
- Master of Surgery (Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Surgery)
Further unit of study information
10 online modules and an 8 hour skills session (Limit 12 students)
Completion of online tasks (50%), 1500 word written assignment (30%), attendance at skills session (20%)
McMinn RMH. Last's Anatomy: Regional and Applied. 12th edition. Churchill Livingstone, 2011; Wind GG and Valentine JR. Anatomical Exposures in Vascular Surgery, 3rd edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2013; Fitridge R and Thompson M. Mechanisms Of Vascular Disease: A Reference Book for Vascular Specialists. University of Adelaide Press, 2011; Hallett JW. Comprehensive Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. Mosby. 2nd Edition 2009; Pellerito J and Polak JF. Introduction to Vascular Ultrasonography. 6th edition. 2012; Inter-Society Consensus for the Management of Peripheral Arterial Disease (TASC II). Norgren L; Hiatt WR; Dormandy JA; Nehler MR; Harris KA; Fowkes FG; TASC II Working Group. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 45 Suppl S:S5-67, 2007 Jan; Management of Chronic Venous Disease: Clinical Practice Guidelines of the European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS). Wittens C et.al. European Journal of Vascular & Endovascular Surgery. 49(6):678-737, 2015 Jun; Rutherford RB (Ed) Vascular Surgery, 8th Edition 2014.
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
Limit 12 students per semester
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.