Introduction to Sustainability (SUST5001)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study will introduce students to the concepts and multidisciplinary nature of sustainability, starting with the physical basis of climate change and its impact on the environment and human development. This will be followed by several case studies covering Energy, Health, Development and Environment. The case studies will be presented by industry professionals and will illustrate sustainability issues currently before Australia- their origins, impacts and industry responses. The unit of study will provide students with a holistic systems lens through which to view their learning throughout the Masters program. This will underpin understanding of the integrated nature of sustainability and facilitate the challenging of silo-based assumptions- their own and those of others. The intention is to ground understanding of complex systems in the real world through the use of case studies that will demonstrate organisational change and problem solving in a world with competing values and conflicting views of what it means to live sustainably. Students completing the unit of study will have a "sustainability tool kit" to apply to sustainability issues in their professional and community activities.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Arts and Social Sciences
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Agriculture and Environment
- Graduate Diploma in Architectural Science (Sustainable Design)
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Agriculture and Environment
- Master of Architectural Science (Audio and Acoustics) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (High Performance Buildings) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Illumination Design) (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Audio and Acoustics)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (High Performance Buildings)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Law and International Development
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
One 2 to 2.5 hour interactive lecture per week presented in an intensive format with up to four hours per week spent on a combination of additional (e.g. on-line) learning tasks, small group sessions and consultation with lecturers.
Essays, oral presentations, short written assignments (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
This unit of study involves essay-writing. Academic writing skills equivalent to HSC Advanced English or significant consultation via the Writing Hub is assumed.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.