Energy and Resources (SUST5003)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit will examine the critical roles that energy and resource usage play in global, national and local sustainability. The need for developed economies to decarbonise their energy supply and for developing countries to have access to clean energy and sustainable resources will require major changes in technology, policy and business systems. This unit of study will cover the fundamentals of energy and resource supply; sustainable supply and use of energy for industry, business and consumers; life cycle analysis; energy security and alternative energy systems. Students will gain an understanding of: different sources of energy and their uses; the economic, environmental and societal contexts of energy and resource use; the need and scope for a transition from conventional energy sources; sound principles for analysing different resource and energy supply options; the role of international agreements and federal policy in influencing resource and energy use.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Executive Master of Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Public Administration
- Graduate Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Diploma in Architectural Science (Sustainable Design)
- Graduate Diploma in Public Administration
- Graduate Diploma in Sustainability
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Audio and Acoustics)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (High Performance Buildings)
- Master of Architectural Science (Sustainable Design) (Illumination Design)
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Sustainability
Further unit of study information
One 2 to 2.5 hour interactive lecture per week presented in an intensive format with up to four hours per week spent on a combination of additional (e.g. on-line) learning tasks, small group sessions and consultation with lecturers.
Essays, classroom presentations, short written assignments (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Unit of study rules
This unit of study involves essay-writing. Academic writing skills equivalent to HSC Advanced English or significant consultation via the Writing Hub is assumed.
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.