Australasian Wildlife: Introduction (WILD5001)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study provides an introduction to the wildlife of Australasia, an overview of the present status of that wildlife, and an understanding of both conservation problems and management solutions. Issues in wildlife management are exemplified using a broad range of vertebrate species occupying different environments. Emphasis is placed on providing students with a coordinated and interdisciplinary approach to wildlife health and management, and on developing expertise in recognising and solving a broad range of problems in field populations. The unit integrates lectures, practical work and supervised study, and offers students the opportunity to work through real-world wildlife conservation problems relevant to their individual backgrounds.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Animal Science
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Science
- Graduate Certificate in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Animal Science
- Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science
- Graduate Diploma in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Studies
- Master of Animal Science
- Master of Environmental Science
- Master of Environmental Science and Law
- Master of Marine Science and Management
- Master of Veterinary Studies
- Master of Wildlife Health and Population Management
Further unit of study information
Intensively taught unit, the remainder of the unit will involve personal study and project activity. See the Wildlife Health and Population Management website for dates.
Assessments for each unit may include practical work, field studies, student presentations and written reports (100%)
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.