Wildlife Health (WILD5003)
UNIT OF STUDY
This unit of study provides an introduction to the health issues confronting wildlife in Australasia, an overview of the health status of that wildlife, and an understanding of both the investigation of health problems and the effective management of these. Issues in wildlife disease management are exemplified using a broad range of vertebrate species occupying different environments. Emphasis is placed on providing students with a coordinated and interdisciplinary approach to wildlife health, and on developing expertise in recognising and solving a broad range of health problems in field populations. There is also a focus on the use of molecular tools as diagnostic assays and for use in population management. The unit is taught intensively in a full-time week on the Camden campus (4-6 days) and the Sydney Campus (1day). The unit integrates lectures, practical work and supervised study, and offer students the opportunity to work through real-world wildlife conservation problems relevant to their individual backgrounds.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Animal Science
- Graduate Certificate in Health Security
- Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Animal Science
- Graduate Diploma in Health Security
- Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Studies
- Master of Animal Science
- Master of Health Security
- Master of Veterinary Studies
- Master of Wildlife Health and Population Management
Further unit of study information
August intensive: 6 days on the Camden campus, one day on the Sydney Campus. Please see the Wildlife Masters website for the date. (http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/wildlife_masters/program/index.shtml).
The assessment of this unit occurs both in the full-time week and in individual written assignments done in the student's own time. The full-time week contributes (40%) of the total mark through a group project ending in a presentation to the class. The remaining (60%) comes from a written assignment of 5,000 word essay due 4 weeks after the end of class.
There are no set textbooks for this unit of study.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.