Vertebrate Pest Management (WILD5004)
UNIT OF STUDY
Vertebrate pests occur in many parts of the world, and can pose significant problems for management of habitat, agricultural productivity, human and wildlife health. This unit focuses on vertebrates that have been introduced to new environments, and considers in detail the impacts and management of pest vertebrates in Australia. Steps in pest management are reviewed, from problem analysis to acceptable levels of control, using case studies of multiple vertebrate pests. Traditional mortality methods as well as emerging management tools are reviewed. The Unit is taught full-time over 7 days at the university farm "Arthursleigh" near Marulan NSW. There are lectures, tutorials, and a variety of practical classes.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Animal Science
- Graduate Certificate in Environmental Science
- Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Animal Science
- Graduate Diploma in Environmental Science
- Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Studies
- Master of Animal Science
- Master of Environmental Science
- Master of Veterinary Studies
- Master of Wildlife Health and Population Management
Further unit of study information
The Unit is taught in a full-time week at the university farm "Arthursleigh" near Marulan NSW. There are lectures, tutorials, and a variety of practical classes. Please see the Wildlife Masters Website for the timing of this course (http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/wildlife_masters/program/index.shtml).
The assessment of this unit occurs both in the full-time week and in individual written assignments done in the student's own time. The full-time week contributes (40%) of the total mark through a number of individual and syndicate tasks, with presentations to the group. The remaining 60% comes from two written assignments of 3000 words (20%) and 5000 words (40%) respectively.
Unit of Study Handbook is the primary reference.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.