Ex Situ Wildlife Management (WILD5006)
UNIT OF STUDY
Wildlife populations are under a variety of threats, most of which result from human activities. Modern conservation biology seeks practical solutions to these problems using a wide range of options. These options can include captive breeding and re-introduction programs, provided that a range of biological, ethical and politico-economic issues are addressed. This unit of study provides students with the tools to evaluate the likely cost-effectiveness of such programs. It also develops knowledge of the technologies available to capture and translocate wildlife, and of the planning required to maximise the chance of success. The unit is taught in a full-time week at Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, NSW. The unit integrates lectures, tutorials, practical work and site visits and offers students the opportunity to examine real problems in the conservation and management of threatened wildlife populations using relevant case studies.
Our courses that offer this unit of study
- Graduate Certificate in Animal Science
- Graduate Certificate in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Animal Science
- Graduate Diploma in Marine Science and Management
- Graduate Diploma in Veterinary Studies
- Master of Animal Science
- Master of Marine Science and Management
- Master of Veterinary Studies
- Master of Wildlife Health and Population Management
Further unit of study information
The Unit is taught in a full-time week in February at Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, NSW. Please see the Masters of Wildlife Health and Population Management website for the specific dates (http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/wildlife_masters/program/index.shtml)
The assessment of this unit occurs both in the full-time week and in an individual written assignment done in the students' own time. The full-time week contributes (40%) of the total mark through a group presentation on the status in the wild and in captivity of a species in the Taronga Western Plains Zoo. The remaining (60%) comes from a written assignment of 5,000 words on a successful species survival plan that involves a significant ex situ component.
There is no text book available. Recommended reading:
Zoo Story: THE MODERN ARK: The Story of Zoos: Past, Present and Future; Vicki Croke; Scribner; 1997
Wild Mammals in Captivity; Harris Holly (Editor); University of Chicago Press; 1996.
Zoo: The Modern Ark; Franz Maier & Jake Page; Toronto: Key Porter Books; 1990.
Faculty/department permission required?
Study this unit outside a degree
If you wish to undertake one or more units of study (subjects) for your own interest but not towards a degree, you may enrol in single units as a non-award student.
If you are from another Australian tertiary institution you may be permitted to underake cross-institutional study in one or more units of study at the University of Sydney.