Tenancy Advice

Tenancy advice can include information about your rights as a tenant, your responsibilities as a tenant and the responsibilities of the landlord.

The Residential Tenancies Act 2010 covers most tenancies in NSW. That means private tenants who have a written or oral residential tenancy agreement. The Act does not cover all tenants; have a look to determine if you are protected by it.

Tenants NSW provides tenants rights factsheets and guidance on how to deal with common tenancy issues. You can access information on tenancy law, ending a tenancy early and information on rents, bonds and other payments.

Redfern Legal Centre has put together a comprehensive Share Housing Survival Guide. The information in the guide includes details on how to move in, looking for a housemate, living in a share house and the associated legalities.

Legal advice

Free legal advice is available to all students through the student representative groups. If you are an undergraduate student, contact the Student Representative Council. If you a postgraduate student, contact the Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association.