Information for staff

Faculty staff, parents or friends may be among the first to notice when a student is having difficulty coping with the many stressors in their life. The information on this page can help you to assist students.

CAPS Consultation to Staff

If you would like to consult with CAPS about any student issues, call CAPS (8627 8433) and ask to speak to the Head, Phil Renner, or one of the Senior Counsellors.

If the matter is more urgent see information about when to call the University of Sydney Helpline (1800 SYD HLP).

Supporting Students to Access CAPS

1. Assist with referral to counseling at CAPS:

  • Ask the student if they are willing to speak with anyone else about their issue.
  • Suggest talking to a counsellor to learn new coping strategies.
  • Offer to make the call to CAPS or allow the student to use your phone to organise an appointment (8627 8433 or 8627 8437).
  • If you are concerned about the student’s safety or the student is very distressed, call the University of Sydney Helpline (1800 SYD HLP).
  • Refer the student to the Counselling and mental health support page in the meantime if there is no immediate risk.

Additional resources

After hours assistance:
NSW Mental Health Access Line: 1800 011 511
Lifeline: 131 114
Camperdown Community Mental Health Team: 9515 9000
Security Service: 9351 3487

If you have witnessed or participated in an emergency or critical event on campus, please see Crisis information.