Your responsibilities

Understanding your responsibilities will improve your student experience and that of your fellow students. It's an essential part of your conditions of enrolment.

What you need to do

Your conditions of enrolment

  1. Arrangements for courses, including staff allocated, as stated in the Calendar or any other publication, announcement or advice of the University, are an expression of intent only and are not to be taken as a firm offer or undertaking. The University reserves the right to vary arrangements for courses, including staffing, at any time, with appropriate notice.
  2. The University reserves the right to cancel your enrolment in the following circumstances:
    - Exclusion from faculty or board of studies, and/or courses.
    - Providing false or misleading information, documents or statements.
    - Failure to pay loans, fines, fees or student contribution amounts (HECS).
  3. That you agree to comply with the by-laws and regulations of the University of Sydney.
  4. That you may not enrol concurrently in another award program that is not already a combined program approved by the Senate, unless approved in writing by the relevant deans.

Ensure your enrolment is correct

You need to ensure that your enrolment is correct at the time of the census dates.

If you don’t, and there is an error with your enrolment, this error will remain on your record.

Non-standard sessions

If you have enrolled in units of study offered in non-standard semesters or intensive mode, make sure you are aware of the census dates relevant to those units of study.

You can find census dates for non-standard sessions on the HECS and domestic fees website.

Check that your Commonwealth Assistance Notice is accurate

If you are a Commonwealth-supported or Commonwealth-assisted student, you have a final opportunity to correct any errors with your enrolment once you receive your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN).

These notices are emailed to you in the 28 days following each census date relevant to your enrolment (as required by the Higher Education Support Act 2003). The final date for the correction of any errors you detect is clearly displayed on the notice.

Know your FEE-HELP balance

If you are an eligible domestic full fee-paying student, and have chosen to take a FEE-HELP loan, you need to know your FEE-HELP balance at all times and inform the University if you don’t have enough balance to cover your full enrolment.

The Australian Government's Study Assist website explains what the FEE-HELP balance is and how to calculate it.

Read your University correspondence

You need to read all correspondence from the University, by email and mail, and respond when required.

If you don’t read and respond to formal University communication, you could jeopardise your enrolment, which may lead to financial and/or academic penalties. You can easily avoid this by reading all emails and letters from the University.

If you receive official communication from the University that you do not understand, please contact us as soon as possible and we will do what we can to assist.

Check your Sydney Mail email account regularly

Your Sydney Mail is your official University student email account to which all official correspondence from the University is sent. It is important to check this regularly.

Your Sydney Mail email account comes in the following format:

You can access your email through MyUni or directly at the Office365 website.

Find further information about Sydney Mail, including how to redirect mail and frequently asked questions on the Student IT website.

Keep your contact details up to date

Throughout the year the University may send important information to your preferred correspondence address. If you do not keep these details up to date, you may be disadvantaged.

If you update your contact details by mail or in person and you provide more than one address, you need to nominate your preferred correspondence address.

Please ensure that your phone numbers are also current. The University may use your mobile phone number in an emergency.

You can update your address online by logging in to Sydney Student using your UniKey (go to 'My details', then' Address and residency').

If you cannot update your address in your student portal you can (from your Sydney Mail account) or attend in person with photo identification.

If you are an international student, know your extra responsibilities

Student visas

If you hold an Australian student visa, you need to make sure that you comply with your visa conditions at all times.

Completion within the expected duration of study

As a higher education provider, the University is required to ensure that international students complete their studies within the duration specified on their electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

Extensions to your course duration can only be allowed in limited circumstances and with the permission of your faculty. The allowable circumstances are for compassionate or compelling circumstances, where an intervention strategy has been implemented (to help you maintain satisfactory progress in your course) or where you are on approved leave of absence or suspension.

Online/distance study

As an international student staying in Australia on a student visa, you may undertake a maximum of 25 per cent of your total course by distance and/or online learning. You can't enrol exclusively in distance or online study in any compulsory study period.

Satisfactory progress

You need to maintain satisfactory progress in your course at all times. The University is obliged to advise the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) when an Australian student visa holder is not maintaining satisfactory academic progress. This may result in an automatic visa cancellation. If you experience any difficulties with your studies, please contact your faculty immediately.

A wide range of support services is available to you. If you’re not sure where to turn to for assistance, please contact the University’s international student advisers by email:

Leave of absence

The University is required to advise DIAC when an Australian student visa holder discontinues studies. If your faculty grants you a leave of absence or suspension for medical or serious compassionate reasons, please contact International Services at for advice on how your leave of absence or suspension will affect your student visa.