Applying for credit

Before you apply for credit/Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), we recommend that you find out what your faculty offers – check your faculty’s handbook and website.

We also recommend that you read the University’s Coursework Policy 2014.

You can apply for credit/RPL based on:

  • units of study completed at a university or higher education institution
  • partially completed or completed qualification(s) studied at a university, higher education institution or a vocational education and training institution (TAFE or private provider)
  • work experience. Please note that some faculties do not offer credit for work experience – check the relevant faculty website and handbook
  • a combination of the above.

The following links go to faculty websites with more information on credit.

How do I apply?

To apply you need to complete an Application for Credit and/or Recognition for Prior Learning form by logging in to Sydney Student (go to 'My studies').

If you are applying directly to the University you can do so until the date applications close. If you are applying through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC), you need to wait until after enrolment. Please submit your application as soon as possible to allow time for processing before semester starts.

Applications received on or after the first day of semester may not be processed until the following semester. This may have implications for your enrolment and on the quantity and type of credit and/or RPL that can be granted.

Supporting documents

If you are applying for credit for units of study completed at an institution other than the University of Sydney, you need to provide:

  • your transcript (results notices are not valid)
  • detailed unit of study descriptions corresponding to the year in which you completed the unit. These should describe the content of the unit, the mode of assessment, the number of contact hours, the number of teaching weeks and the credit point weighting, and may include information such as lab hours completed
  • a portfolio (if applicable).

If you are applying to have prior work experience recognised, you will need to upload a letter from your employer detailing your role and duties as they relate to the credit you are seeking. Your employer needs to sign this letter. Please note that not all faculties recognise work experience.

If you are applying to have other prior learning recognised, you need to provide relevant documents that allow your faculty to assess whether that learning is equivalent to the requirements of your future course.

What happens next?

If your application is successful, your faculty will offer one or more items of credit to you. If you wish to accept some or all of the credit items offered, you need to complete the acceptance task as soon as possible after the offer is made and no later than the relevant census date after which your offer will expire.

You need to be mindful of relevant unit of study deadlines (including the last day to add and the last day to withdraw from a unit) when considering any offer of credit and/or RPL made to you.

Accepting credit and/or RPL can:

  • reduce your course duration
  • reduce your fees
  • affect your enrolment load.

Domestic students If your enrolment load is reduced as a result of accepting credit and/or RPL, your eligibility for government assistance (such as Austudy, ABSTUDY, or Youth Allowance) may be affected.

International students If you are on a student visa and your expected course duration is reduced as a result of accepting credit and/or RPL, the University will have to notify the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. For more information, contact the .