Privacy statement

The University will collect, manage, use and disclose personal information in accordance with relevant legislation. The Information Protection Principles contained in the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 governs all matters related to personal information in the University.

By completing the various parts of the enrolment process, you are supplying the University of Sydney with information about yourself. The University needs this information to maintain a record of your enrolment and academic achievements, communicate with you, assist you if you have a disability or if you are not meeting academic progression requirements and to maintain contact with you when you have graduated. The University may also use your contact details to attempt to contact or locate you or to notify the relevant authority if there are reasonable grounds to be concerned about your welfare or safety.

The information you supply, together with the record of your academic achievements, is stored in the University Student System and is made available to the faculties and departments relevant to your studies and to those administrative sections of the University with responsibility for the maintenance of aspects of your record. Information will also be disclosed to relevant government departments and agencies, such as the commonwealth government departments with responsibilities relating to higher education, taxation, immigration and social security, in accordance with their directives. The University is not permitted to accept your enrolment unless the required information is provided.

Under amendments made to the Higher Education Support Act 2003 (HES Act) in 2012, personal information collected from the University can be able disclosed to the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Authority; the Australian Skills Quality Authority; State and Territory Governments; Tertiary Admissions Centres; higher education and vocational education providers for the purposes of HESA; Universities Australia; the Australian Council for Private Education and the Council of Private Higher Education. Any personal information so disclosed is protected by the HES Act.

If you were admitted to the University via the Universities Admission Centre (UAC), the University returns a portion of the data originally supplied by that organisation as confirmation of your acceptance of the offer of enrolment they made to you on behalf of the University. All students in receipt of a Centrelink payment can also expect to have their study circumstances reported automatically to Centrelink via the Centrelink Academic Reassessment Transformation (CART) facility.

If you are undertaking an approved program of study that leads to registration as a health practitioner, the University is authorised and required to provide the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) with certain information collected as part of your enrolment and about your enrolment status. The University is also required to provide the NSW Ministry of Health with certain information regarding students who will be undertaking placements in NSW Health facilities. This information is reported directly via the Ministry of Health’s ClinConnect Student Module and will be used to assign students to placements and to record students’ compliance with NSW Health policy and legislative requirements.

If you are resident at one of the residential colleges affiliated with the University, a copy of your results may be supplied to your college each semester. Your college will request that you complete a form authorising the University to provide the results to them, which they will send to the University. Students enrolled in cross-institutional studies or joint universities degrees may also have their results released to partner institutions for the purpose of managing their progression. If you are a postgraduate research student, your name and current working topic may be published in electronic or printed media highlighting research at the University. If you do not want these details published you should inform the Dean of your faculty in writing.

A digital photograph of each student is stored electronically on the University’s card management system. The photographs are reproduced on University Student Campus Cards and are also available to faculties and departments for legitimate University purposes. An electoral roll of students at the University is provided to recognised student organisations each year to enable the conduct of elections. In addition, your contact details will be provided to the student organisations you have expressed a desire to join.

The University may access student records to identify students who may be eligible for employment opportunities in the University and outside. You will be notified of any possible employment placements and invited to apply. No employer or sponsor will be provided with your results or other personal information without your consent in advance. The University will confirm your graduate status (only your name, degree(s) conferred and date(s) awarded) on receipt of a written request without seeking your consent.

Other than the exceptions above, the University does not disclose personal information about students (including photographs) except with the consent of the student concerned, or where required or authorised by law. You have the right to access and correct any personal information concerning you held by the University in the student and financial databases.