First Year survival tips
Your first year at the University of Sydney will be fun, exciting, challenging and at times, very unfamiliar. There is a multitude of activities, programs and support for you to choose from so below, we have 10 survival tips to help you navigate your journey.
- Be bold! Lots of other students won’t know anyone either. Say ‘hello’ and you might just make a new friend. Have a look at the Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS) e-books about relationships and communication for some tips to help you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you are struggling. The uni provides a range of support services to assist you at any point during your degree.
- Make the most of every opportunity. Uni life is not just about academic study, and we want you to have the best experience possible. Check out the student life website for more helpful hints.
- Know the important dates that relate to you, and set reminders for them! This will include University-wide dates and dates relevant to your course and subjects, listed in your unit of study outlines.
- Explore the area. The Camperdown/Darlington Campus is close to Glebe, Newtown, and the Sydney CBD. These are vibrant areas with a range of recreational and entertainment options. You can also explore the other campuses Sydney College of the Arts is located in Rozelle, which overlooks Sydney Harbour and has a range of contemporary art galleries to visit. Sydney Conservatorium of Music is located in the Royal Botanical Gardens and runs regular concerts and performances. To find out more, see What's On, the University events calendar.
- Plan your time and be organised. University study is a lot more independent and self-directed than high school. Attend a CAPS workshop or a Learning Centre workshop to help get you started.
- Interact online! Join the Uni’s Facebook page, follow us on Twitter and subscribe to the Uni’s YouTube channel. Have your say about What Matters to you.
- Get an Access card and join some clubs and societies. The University of Sydney Union’s clubs and societies are a great way to meet people and have fun.
- Check out the cultural and artistic life of the University. The University has regular art shows, theatre performances and museum exhibitions. Click here for more details.
- Understand Uni terminology. Check out this helpful glossary of common terms.