Course-specific requirements

If your course requires you to undertake clinical placements in NSW Public Health Facilities, or other child-related placements, you will need to complete some additional checks and clearances as part of your enrolment.

The following will guide you through the steps necessary to ensure that all checks are completed prior to you commencing placement.

NSW Health Clinical Placements - Employment Screening Requirements

NSW Health Employment Checks Policy requires all students enrolling in courses that involve clinical placements in NSW Public Health Facilities complete the following:

  1. National Police Certificate. International students must also have a Police Check from your home country or Statutory Declaration for Overseas Students.
  2. Code of Conduct Agreement for Students undertaking Clinical Placements form.
    First read NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement
  3. Compliance Summary Sheet
  4. Provide evidence of protection against the infectious diseases as specified in the Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination Against Infectious Diseases policy by completing a Vaccination Record Card for Health Workers/Students (blank cards will be made available at enrolment and also the Student Centre and your faculty throughout the year)
  5. FORM 2 - Tuberculosis (TB) assessment tool
  6. FORM 3 - Student Undertaking/Declaration

Failure to complete and submit the above mandated NSW Health checks or any delay in seeking the National Police Certificate may result in delay or non-acceptance by NSW Health of your application for placement.

On-campus verification by NSW Health

Sydney Local Health District representatives will be on campus on the following dates to check compliance with their employment screening and vaccination policy. Students must be verified as compliant at their scheduled appointment in order to undertake placements in NSW Public Health Facilities in 2014.

Please contact your faculty to schedule your appointment.

30 & 31 January

(Camperdown/Darlington campus)

10 - 14 March

(Camperdown/Darlington and Cumberland campuses )

12 - 16 May

(Camperdown/Darlington & Cumberland campuses)



Health Sciences


Oral Health

Health Sciences




Social Work

Health Sciences

Please bring completed documents 1 to 6 on the list above as well as your Student Campus Card (or other photo ID) to your allocated appointment.

National Police Certificate

Students undertaking clinical placements in NSW Public Health Facilities are required to obtain a National Police Check Certificate (NPCC) prior to the commencement of their placement.

You must ensure that the name provided to obtain your NPCC matches the name on your Student Campus Card. If your name does not match, you will not be allowed to commence your clinical placement.

If your name is held incorrectly on University records, you can update it using the Change of Personal Details form.

International students must in addition to obtaining an NPCC, also obtain Police Certificates from their home country or any country they have been a citizen or permanent resident of since turning 16 years of age (translated into English).

If you are unable to obtain a Police Certificate from your home country or any country that you that you have been a citizen or resident of since turning 16, you must complete the Statutory Declaration for Overseas Students. Please note the Statutory Declaration must be completed after arrival in NSW.

Instructions on how to apply for an Australian NPCC (including additional requirements for international students) and other important information regarding your responsibilities can be found on the NSW Health Frequently asked questions for students.

NSW Health Code of Conduct Agreement

Before commencing any clinical placement, you are required to read the NSW Health Code of Conduct and submit a signed Code of Conduct Agreement. These forms are submitted at the bulk verification days.

Occupational Assessment, Screening and Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases

If you are enrolling in a course that requires you to undertake clinical placement in NSW Health Facilities, the NSW Ministry of Health requires you to provide evidence of compliance with the requirements of the Occupational Assessment Screening and Vaccination Against Specified Infectious Diseases policy.

You must provide evidence of protection against the infectious disease(s) specified in the policy and comply with the policy’s requirements at your own cost, prior to attending placement in a NSW Health facility, and submit the required forms and declarations as soon as possible after your enrolment. For more information please read the Important Requirements for Students in Relation to Assessment Screening Vaccination (pdf).

Print the Vaccination Record Card and then take it to your GP to be completed. Alternatively you may obtain a copy of the Vaccination Record Card from the Student Centre.

Child-related placements (The Working with Children Check)

In 2014 the University requires all students enrolling in courses that involve child-related placements (other than placements within NSW Public Health Facilities) to submit a completed and signed Working with Children Statutory Declaration to the Student Centre prior to the commencement of any placement.

The Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013, under the Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012, stipulates it is an offence for a disqualified person to apply for, attempt to obtain, undertake or remain in child-related employment. If the University becomes aware that a student is a disqualified person, it cannot refer that student to a child-related placement or allow a placement to continue.

Schedule 2 of the Act lists disqualifying offences which will automatically bar you from working with children. A person convicted of (or awaiting trial for) any of these offences, committed as an adult will be automatically barred.

In signing the Working with Children Statutory Declaration you are affirming that you understand the information above and that you are not a disqualified person according to the Act.

The New Working with Children Check

The Office of Children’s Guardian has introduced a new process for managing checks of child-related workers.

All child-related workers (including students and volunteers) are required to apply for a Working with Children Check. The Check involves a national police check and review of findings of misconduct involving children. If the outcome is a clearance, the Check can be used for any child-related work (paid or voluntary) in NSW.

According to the new process, students, volunteers and those who are already in paid child-related work are not required to apply for the new check now but will be phased in over a five year period according to their industry sector.

You will be required to complete the New Working with Children Check as per the phase in schedule and/or when you enter paid employment.

I have an enquiry

If you have any questions or wish to discuss any issues arising from the NSW Health policy or child-related placement requirements, please contact your faculty:

Faculty Contact details
 Arts and Social Sciences

Ms Anne MacMillan, Manager, Student Services

Telephone: + 61 2 9351 6675



Ms Ai Lin Nio, Learning and Teaching Services Manager

Telephone: +61 2 9351 8323


 Education and Social Work

Ms Andrea Small, Manager, Social Work Field Education

Telephone: + 61 9351 2652


Ms Cheryl Brown, Manager, Professional Experiences

Telephone: +61 2 9351 7047


 Health Sciences

Ms Marcelle Alam, Manager, Work Integrated Learning

Telephone: +61 2 9351 9833



Mr Ken Chow, Manager, Student Services

Telephone: +61 2 9351 5471



Ms Sascha Jenkins, Clinical Placements Manager

Telephone: +61 2 9351 0518


Ms Holly Burt, Student Administration Manager

Telephone: +61 2 9351 0522


Nutrition & Dietetics

Ms Margaret Nicholson, Lecturer/Placement Coordinator

Telephone: + 61 2 9351 6020



Ms Narelle De Costa, Student Services Officer - Undergraduate

Telephone: +61 2 9036 9296


Ms Alma Torlakovic, Student Services Officer - Postgraduate

Telephone: +61 9036 9552


Ms Weining (Vinnie) Xue, Student Services Office - Clinical Placement

Telephone: +61 2 9351 8957



Ms Belinda Ingram, Administrative Officer

Telephone: +61 2 9351 6180


Conservatorium of Music

Mr Cedric Poon, Manager, Student Administration,

Telephone: +61 2 9351 1239


 Veterinary Science

Ms Veronica Boulton, Faculty Manager,

Telephone: +61 2 9351 6932