Please note: international student financial matters, including refunds, must be directed to International Services.
If you are a domestic student and your Student Financial Statement shows that you have a credit balance (you have overpaid your fees) then you can claim a refund. View your Student Financial Statement and complete your refund request online through your Sydney Student Portal under the ‘My Finance’ tab.
Domestic student refund conditions
Please read these conditions before completing the online Student Refund Request.
- These conditions are not valid for International students.
- A Course fee refund can only be processed if:
- the refund complies with University census dates, policies and procedures. All University policies and procedures are available from the Policy Register. See in particular the Student Fees Procedure - Accounts Receivable.
- all relevant applications (i.e Leave or Withdrawal requests) are submitted to your faculty prior to the appropriate closing dates.
- all correct information is provided to us in time for the end of semester. If not, your credit will automatically roll over towards next semester fees where applicable.
- Refund payment methods
A refund can only be processed to a credit card if your original fee payment was made using the credit option at the Cashiers counter, phone or internet payment system (excludes BPAY) and can only be returned to the original card. Where the original card is lost or stolen, the card holder is responsible for liaising with the issuing bank to settle funds into an alternate account. The Manager, Order to Cash in Financial Control and Treasury may, in appropriate circumstances, approve an alternative refund method.
An EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) refund is processed directly to your nominated bank account if your original fee payment was made using the debit option at the Cashiers counter, cheque or BPAY. Recipients are liable to pay any charges levied by their bank or financial institution for receipt of monies into their nominated account.
After your application is received it may take up to ten (10) working days for the University to process your refund in addition to any period attributed to bank processing practices.
- Where a refund payment is provided in accordance with the University's policies and procedures, including where it is issued to another person, institution or sponsor nominated by you, the University of Sydney shall be deemed to have discharged any obligation in relation to the refund of fees to the student and accepts no responsibility if the student does not receive the benefit of such refund from a person, institution or sponsor nominated to receive the refund payment.
- Your credit will automatically roll over and be applied to future liabilities for a period of up to 12 months if a refund payment is not claimed. If you do not want your credit to roll over please submit your refund request at least two weeks prior to the end of semester. Any unclaimed credit held for more than 12 months may be transferred to the Office of State Revenue. Please contact us to find out how to locate any unclaimed funds no longer held in your fee account.
I have an enquiry
Please contact us if you have an enquiry regarding your refund application or if you are not a current student and do not have access to the Sydney Student Portal.
||+61 2 9351 5222 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays)|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 5881|
|Fees Office - Financial Control and Treasury
Margaret Telfer Building (K07)
The University of Sydney NSW 2006