Visa conditions

Attached to all student visas are student visa conditions. It is obligatory for student visa holders to comply with these conditions. Make sure you are aware what the conditions are of the visa you are holding.

Some of the student visa holder conditions are:

Maintaining satisfactory academic progression
Student visa holders must remain enrolled in a CRICOS-registered course and must ensure they are meeting course requirements in accordance with course progression rules. Read more information on the University’s policy to assist students who are not progressing satisfactorily here.

There may be implications for your student visa if you continue to not meet the academic requirements of your course. It is therefore important to contact your faculty advisers or the immediately if you are experiencing difficulties during your studies so that you can make use of the support that is available to you.

Completion within expected duration
Students are required to complete their studies within the time-frame specified on the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) used to apply for their student visa. In limited circumstances students may extend the expected duration of their course. If you are worried that you are not able to complete your course in time, please contact your faculty advisers or the . Please also refer to the information on enrolment changes.

Working whilst studying
From 26 March 2012, student visa holders can work 40 hours per fortnight once their course has commenced and during any period in which their course is in session. They are able to work unrestricted hours during any scheduled course break. A fortnight means a period of 14 days commencing on any Monday and ending on the second following Sunday.

In addition, from 26 March 2012, Higher Degree by Research (HDR) student visa holders are no longer limited in the number of hours that they can work once their course has commenced. Note, however, that unlimited work rights only apply once the student has commenced their HDR course. A student studying a preliminary course (such as ELICOS) on a subclass 574 (Postgraduate Research Sector) visa would be limited to 40 hours per fortnight of work while the student is undertaking the preliminary course.

Students who were granted a student visa before 26 April 2008 will need to apply separately for permission to work. Please contact the for information on how to apply.

The permission to work application process differs for Australia Awards (APS, ADS, and ALA) students. Students should contact an to obtain the documentation required to lodge an application.

Change of address
Students are required to notify the University of their residential address in Australia within seven (7) days of arriving in Australia. Students must also notify the University of any change in their residential address within seven (7) days of the change. You can do this change via the Sydney Student portal, accessible via MyUni.

Check your visa entitlements
You can check your visa conditions, study entitlements and work entitlements online using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service provided by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). VEVO enables visa holders to confirm their visa details without a visa label being placed in their passport. To learn how to use VEVO, please visit the VEVO website.