Costs and scholarships
- How much money will I need?
- Cost of living
- Exchange Scholarships
- Australian Government OS-HELP Loan Scheme
While you are not required to pay tuition fees or other student administration or service fees, you will be responsible for most other costs while you on exchange. We estimate that you will require between AUD$10,000 - $12,000 for one semester to cover your living expenses and cost of air tickets, travel and health insurance.
Prices will vary depending on the exchange rate and cost of living in each country. More expensive destinations are the east and west coast of the USA, the United Kingdom and Japan which may cost AUD$12,000 -15,000 per semester. More affordable destinations include Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.
Where you meet eligibility requirements, some of your exchange expenses may be offset by:
- Centrelink benefits;
- an OS-HELP Loan; and
- University of Sydney's Student Travel Insurance.
As scholarship and OS-HELP funding is limited, please do not rely on this as anticipated funding when planning your exchange.
Students considering Canada, France and the USA as a destination should be aware that you are normally required to purchase the medical insurance offered by your host institution as part of the enrolment process. This can cost between AUD$300 to AUD$1,000 depending on duration and destination. Most universities do not allow this insurance requirement to be waived. This medical insurance does not cover your travel to and from Australia so you will need to ensure you have appropriate travel insurance for this aspect of your journey.
Most handbooks from our exchange partners list the average cost of living at their university. Reports from past students also include cost of living information. These reports are available in the Exchange Resource Library. It might be helpful for you to check this information and use a currency converter to get an idea of what to expect.
The University offers a range of exchange travelling scholarships. Some are awarded by International Services, and others are offered by faculties. It is rare that an exchange scholarship will cover the entire cost of your exchange. You are advised not to rely on scholarships as a source of exchange funding. Click here for the scholarship summary sheet.
International Exchange Scholarships
International Services offers International Exchange Scholarships - up to 350 each year - valued at $1,000 each. These awards which are allocated on the basis of academic merit with students ranked by their AAM (Annual Average Mark).
Exchange applicants will automatically be considered for International Exchange Scholarships. However, students who receive guaranteed funding support for their overseas exchange period eg: students enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts (Languages), and students enrolled in Masters or PhD research programs whilst on exchange are not eligible for these awards.
Selection for International Exchange Scholarships occurs during:
- May/June for exchanges commencing in the second half of the year.
- October/November for exchanges commencing in the first half of the following year.
Recipients of International Exchange Scholarships are expected to submit Progress Reports during their exchange semester/year and attend information sessions at the University of Sydney to promote the program.
Faculty and Department Scholarships
For more information about scholarships that may be offered by your faculty or other University departments, please contact the Faculty office or visit their websites below. Please note that separate eligibility criteria and application requirements apply for these scholarships.
- Arts & Social Sciences Bachelor of International and Global Studies Travelling Scholarship
- Arts & Social Sciences Bachelor of Arts (Languages) Travel Grant
- Arts & Social Sciences International Exchange Scholarships
- Business School Student Exchange Travel Scholarships
- Business School Strategic Exchange Scholarships
- Business School Littrell-Cartwright International Exchange Scholarship
- Science Dean of Science Undergraduate Exchange Scholarship
- Scholarships Office James Wolfensohn Travelling Scholarship
- Scholarships Office Marian Macauley Bequest Scholarships
- Scholarships Office University of Sydney International Exchange Scholarship for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
Specific Exchange Partner Scholarships
Some exchange partners and foreign governments offer scholarships for visiting exchange students. Application forms for these scholarships are normally supplied once the University of Sydney has nominated you to the host university. These are subject to change and may not be available every semester. Examples of some include:
- Denmark - København Universitet – Crown Princess Mary Scholarship
- China - Shanghai Normal University – Free accommodation and living allowance of RMB 800 per month (approximately $120 AUD).
- Germany - Albert-Ludwigs Universität, Freiburg – Baden-Württemberg Exchange Scholarship
- Germany - Universität Konstanz – Baden-Württemberg Exchange Scholarship
- Germany - Universität Mannheim – Baden-Württemberg Exchange Scholarship
- Germany - Studies in Germany for Australians - DAAD German Academic Exchange Service funding and scholarships
- Israel - Hebrew University of Jerusalem – Sir Zelman Cowen Universities Fund Student Fellowship
- Japan - All Japanese Partners – JASSO Short-Term Student Exchange Promotion Program (Inbound) Scholarship.
- South Korea - Korea University – Global KU Study Abroad Scholarships. A range of scholarships are available including an Admission Scholarships for KRW300,000 (aproximately $250 AUD) per month for the first semester (4 months).
- Switzerland - Université de Genève. 5 x scholarships for CHF 800 per month for 4 months available for March 2013. No application is required - students will automatically be considered by Geneva's International Office and awarded to the students with the highest WAM.
- UK - University of Exeter Student Exchange Scholarships. 2 scholarships are available for March 2013 each worth £500. No application is required - students will automatically be considered by the Exeter's International Office and awarded to the students with the highest WAM.