Once you have been accepted by the host university, you will most likely be very excited and eager to get going. Before you leave, there are a large number of matters you must attend to.
- purchasing your airline ticket;
- making sure you have a current passport which will not expire while you are away;
- applying for your student visa;
- organising your finances;
- organising additional travel and health insurance if the University's cover is insufficient;
- getting required vaccinations;
- making sure you have your accommodation settled (both temporary and permanent);
- reading up on your destination - the country, city and host university;
- reading up on information about Australia for your ambassadorial opportunities while on exchange;
- brushing up on language skills (if required); and
- organising what to pack.
This is probably the best time to re-read the Progress Reports from past exchange students kept in the Exchange Programs Resource Library at International Services, Level 4, Jane Foss Russell Building, to make sure you glean tips for settling into your host university.
Shortly before your departure, you will be invited to attend a Predeparture Session. Predeparture Information Sessions are held in early June, for students departing on exchange in July semester and held in late September for students departing on exchange in March semester.
The Predeparture Session will cover practical and administrative information that you need to be aware of. There will also be an opportunity for you to meet with returned outbound exchange students and current inbound students from the same institution or country you will be going to, who will share some tips with you making the transition to your host university. Below are some reference documents of the most recent:
- Predeparture Session presentation (PDF, 3MB)
These documents are in Adobe Acrobat format. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, please obtain a free copy from the Adobe website.