Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Asian Exchange Scholarships
Westpac Bicentennial Foundation overview
The Westpac Bicentennial Foundation is a scholarship fund with an exclusive focus on the education and advancement of Australians. A one-off contribution of $100 million will fund 100 scholarships and awards every year in perpetuity to Australians from all walks of life who have the potential to shape Australia’s future.
The foundation was launched as a gift to future generations of Australians to commemorate Westpac’s 200th anniversary in 2017.
The Westpac Bicentennial Foundation aims to ensure that those who have the drive to shape Australia are given the chance to do so.
What is the Asian Exchange Scholarship?
The Asian Exchange Scholarship offers students the opportunity to spend a semester studying at a leading Asian university. Uniquely, the scholarships also offer the freedom to ‘Build your own adventure’ enabling students to individualise their exchange program to enhance their Asian experience. Students can tailor their program through a range of additional opportunities beyond the classroom. Valued at $10,000, the scholarships will help students to build their knowledge, understanding and skills to help strengthen Australia’s business, commercial and cultural ties with Asia.
In this, our launch year, successful recipients have the opportunity to become inaugural members of the Westpac Scholars alumni program. This initial cohort of only eight Asian Exchange Scholarships nationally has the unique opportunity to contribute to the shape of the program going forward.
Why an Asian exchange?
The rise of Asia presents a unique opportunity for Australia. With this rapid growth in economic power and influence in our region, Australia is well placed to contribute to, and benefit from, growth opportunities on our doorstep.
To thrive and prosper in the years ahead, our future leaders will need to have deeper connections, skills and capabilities in Asia. Already the most populous region in the world, the coming decades will give rise to an increasingly wealthy and mobile Asian middle class, creating new opportunities across a range of industries. A greater understanding of Asian cultures and languages will be vital to build stronger connections and partnerships across the region.
The Asian Exchange Scholarships will underpin these efforts by supporting ambitious students eager to actively contribute to Australia’s success in Asia.
What are the benefits?
The Asian Exchange Scholarships provide the following benefits:
- $10,000 per student to undertake one semester of formal study at a participating Asian university
- the opportunity to ‘Build your own adventure,’ giving students the flexibility to develop additional exchange experiences eg an internship with a local organisation, volunteer or work experience to enrich their field of study
- Scholarship recipients will become members of the Westpac Scholars alumni program and gain access to ongoing networking, learning and educational opportunities.
Who are we looking for?
What will make a Westpac Scholar stand out? We are looking for candidates who not only demonstrate outstanding academic potential but the drive to build to a better future for Australia. Scholarships are open to students from all walks of life who have:
1. Passion for Asia
- a clear understanding of Asia’s role in Australia’s future prosperity
- a desire to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion.
2. Focus on personal growth and development
- seeks new and challenging experiences
- Ambition to build a future career connected to the Asia region.
- to be an active Westpac Scholars Alumni member and to advocate for the value of shared understanding between Australia and Asia.
- bringing a variety of skills, beliefs, backgrounds and experiences.
5. Academic excellence
- maintain a minimum Credit average for acceptance.
Who can I apply?
To be eligible for the Asian Exchange Scholarship, applicants must be:
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- enrolled in 2nd year or beyond at a participating university.
What degrees are eligible?
We welcome applications from any student regardless of your degree.
The University of Sydney offers student exchanges with the following Asian universities.
- Beijing: Tsinghua University and Peking University
- Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong and Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Shanghai: Fudan University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Singapore: National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University.
How do I apply?
Students approved to study on exchange at one of the institutions listed above will be invited to apply for the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation Asian Exchange Scholarship.
How exchange works.
If you have any enquiries, please contact the International Exchange Program team:
T:+61 2 8627 8322
For more information about the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation go to: www.westpac.com.au/200years